"WEST HORSLEY, a parish in the second division of the hundred of Woking, county Surrey, 3 miles S.E. of Ripley. The parish is of considerable extent, and part of the land in common. Here is an old seat which once belonged to Sir Walter Raleigh. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £305."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]