An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in West Horsley
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"WEST HORSLEY, a parish in the second division of the hundred of Woking, county Surrey, 3 miles S.E. of Ripley. The parish is of considerable extent, and part of the land in common. Here is an old seat which once belonged to Sir Walter Raleigh. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £305.[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £317. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure with an ivy-mantled tower surmounted by a spire. It contains several antique stalls and tombs of the Berner, Nicholas, and Raleigh families. The head of the illustrious Sir Walter Raleigh was buried here, though his body was laid in St. Margaret's, Westminster.
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003] These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.