"WIMBLEDON, a parish and suburb of the metropolis, in the W. division of Brixton hundred, county Surrey, 3 miles S.W. of Wandsworth, 4 N.E. of Kingston, and 7¼ from London by the London and South-Western railway, which intersects the parish, or 16½ by the Wimbledon branch of the London, Brighton, and South Coast railway, both of which have stations here; there is also a branch line to Epsom and Leatherhead. It is situated on the Wandle, a small brook which here joins the Thames, and includes the Common, a level tract of uninclosed ground, surrounded by seats of the nobility and gentry, and which is at present used for the annual contests of the Rifle Association."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]