"WITLEY, a parish in the second division of Godalming hundred, county Surrey, 3½ miles S.W. of Godalming. It is a station on the London and South-Western railway. The village is situated on the road from Godalming to Petworth, and the direct line of railway to Portsmouth. The parish includes the chapelry of Milford. The land is elevated, and includes a considerable tract of common and woodland."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]