An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Witley
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"WITLEY, a parish in the second division of Godalming hundred, county Surrey, 3½ miles S.W. of Godalming. It is a station on the London and South-Western railway. The village is situated on the road from Godalming to Petworth, and the direct line of railway to Portsmouth. The parish includes the chapelry of Milford. The land is elevated, and includes a considerable tract of common and woodland.[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Winchester, value £100. The church, dedicated to All Saints, contains a painted E. window, two brasses with Norman details, and monuments to the Chandler and Webb families. There is besides a chapel-of-case at Milford, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, and parochial schools. Gold and silver coins have been discovered here."
"MILFORD, a chapelry in the parish of Witley, second division of the hundred of Godalming, county Surrey, 1½ mile S.W. of Godalming, its post town. It is a station on the Guildford, Godalming, and New Portsmouth branch of the South-Western railway. The village, which is small, is chiefly agricultural.
The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Winchester, value £90. There is a National school, also a chapel for Independents."
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003] These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.