"WOKING, a parish and market town in the first division of Woking hundred, county Surrey, 3 miles N.W. of Ripley, and 5 N.E. of Guildford. It is a station on the London and South-Western railway, which here sends off a branch to Guildford and Portsmouth. The parish, containing the market town of Woking, with Goldsworth, Kingfield, Heathside, Sutton, and 5 other tythings."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]