Hide

An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Woking

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

 

WOKING

"WOKING, a parish and market town in the first division of Woking hundred, county Surrey, 3 miles N.W. of Ripley, and 5 N.E. of Guildford. It is a station on the London and South-Western railway, which here sends off a branch to Guildford and Portsmouth. The parish, containing the market town of Woking, with Goldsworth, Kingfield, Heathside, Sutton, and 5 other tythings." (There is more of this description).

"CRASTOCK, a tything in the parish and hundred of Woking, in the county of Surrey, 3½ miles N.W. of Guildford, near the South-Western railway."

"GOLDINGS, (or Goldsworth), a tything in the parish of Woking, first division of the hundred of Woking, county Surrey. 6 miles N. of Guildford. It is situated in the vicinity of the South-Western railway, and the Basingstoke canal passes through the tything.

"HALE-END, a tything in the parish of Woking, first division of the hundred of Woking, county Surrey, 5 miles N. of Guildford."

"HEATH SIDE, a tything in the parish of Woking, county Surrey, 6 miles N.E. of Guildford, near the South-Western railway."

"KINGFIELD, (or Kenville), a tything in the parish of Woking, first division of the hundred of Woking, county Surrey, 4 miles N. of Guildford.

"MAYFORD, a tything in the parish of Woking, first division of the hundred of Woking, county Surrey, 4 miles N. of Guildford. It is situated on the line of the South-Western railway, and on a branch of the river Wey."

"SHACKLEFORD, a tything in the parish of Woking, first division of the hundred of Woking, county Surrey, 5 miles N.E. of Guildford."

"SUTTON, a tything in the parish of Woking, first division of Woking hundred, county Surrey, 4 miles N.E. of Guildford. It is situated on the river Wey, near the South Western railway. Sutton Place, a quadrangular building, 80 feet square, caught fire in 1591, after Queen Elizabeth's visit."

"TOWN-STREET, a tything in the parish of Woking, first division of Woking hundred, county Surrey."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003] These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.