"WONERSH, a parish in the first division of Blackheath hundred, county Surrey, 3 miles S.E. of Guildford. It is situated on the road from Arundel to Brighton, and intersected by the Wey and Arun canal. The surface is hilly towards the eastern boundary. The soil is generally light, consisting of iron sand, but in parts clayey. The manor house of Tangley, originally a hunting box of King John, was in 1585 converted into a residence by Sir F. Duncombe. On Shimley Green a market and fair were formerly held under charter of Charles II., but long since discontinued."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]