"WORPLESDON, a parish mainly in the first division of Woking hundred, county Surrey, but containing places in the county of Hampshire, 3 miles N.W. of Guildford. It is situated on the Wye and Arun navigation, and includes the tything of Burgham and the ecclesiastical district and village of Wyke, the latter surrounded by the parish of Ash. In 1829 the floor of a Roman villa, 62 feet long by 23 wide, and divided into five compartments, floored with tesselated pavement of iron-stone, was discovered on Broad-Street Common. The two manors of Worplesdon and Burgham belong to Earl Onslow. Fuller's earth is found."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]