"WORPLESDON, a parish mainly in the first division of Woking hundred, county Surrey, but containing places in the county of Hampshire, 3 miles N.W. of Guildford. It is situated on the Wye and Arun navigation, and includes the tything of Burgham and the ecclesiastical district and village of Wyke, the latter surrounded by the parish of Ash. In 1829 the floor of a Roman villa, 62 feet long by 23 wide, and divided into five compartments, floored with tesselated pavement of iron-stone, was discovered on Broad-Street Common. The two manors of Worplesdon and Burgham belong to Earl Onslow. Fuller's earth is found.
The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £710, in the patronage of Eton College. The parish church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains an old font and an E. window embellished with ancient stained glass. There is also a district church at Wyke, erected in 1858, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £130. There are National schools, built by subscription in 1861, and schools in connection with the district church of Wyke. The charities produce about £18 per annum."
"PERRY-HILL, a tything in the parish of Worplesdon, first division of the hundred of Woking, county Surrey, 3 miles N.W. of Guilford. The parish church is situated in this tything."
"WEST-END, a tything in the parish of Worplesdon, county Surrey, 3 miles N.W. of Guildford."
"WESTEND, a tything in the parish of Worplesdon, first division of the hundred of Woking, county Surrey."
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the