ALDRINGTON is a parish, 2 miles west from and in the county court district of Brighton, in the Eastern division of the county, union of Steyning, rape of Lewes, and hundred of Fishersgate. The church has long been in ruins. The living is a rectory, value £294, in the gift of Magdalen College, Cambridge, and held by the Rev. Edward Warter, M.A. of that college. A canal and floating basin (in connection with Shoreham Harbour) have been constructed for the convenience of the coal and general trade of Brighton and its neighbourhood. The population in 1861 was 7. The area is 776 acres, nearly the whole of which belongs to Hugh Ingram, Esq. J.P. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
|Holy Cross, Aldrington, Church of England|
|The Parish Church of St Leonard, Aldrington, Church of England|
|New Life Christian Church (was West Hove Community Baptist C, Aldrington, Baptist|
|Stoneham Road Baptist Church, Aldrington, Baptist|
|St Peter, Aldrington, Roman Catholic|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Aldrington to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Aldrington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ272051 (Lat/Lon: 50.831468, -0.195146), Aldrington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)