ARLINGTON is a parish and village on the Cuckmere river, a mile and a half north-east from Berwick station, 3 and a half miles south-west from Hailsham, and 54 by road from London in the Eastern division of the county, Hailsham union, hundred of Longbridge, Pevensey rape and rural deanery, Lewes county court district and archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. The church of St. Pancras is an ancient building, in the Decorated style, with two chancels, nave, and side aisle, and a spire containing 3 bells. The register dates from 1604. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £250, in the gift of the Bishop of London, and held by the Rev. Henry William Farebrother, S.C.L., of New Inn Hall, Oxford. The area of the parish is 5,185 acres; the population in 1861 was 623.
The Dicker is a hamlet, a mile and a half north, on a large common, situate in the parishes of Chiddingly, Arlington, and Hellingly, and has now become very populous. In the year 1851, a handsome new district church (Holy Trinity) was built by voluntary subscription: there is a tablet to the memory of Dr. Vidal, the first incumbent, who died in Africa, having been elevated to the bishopric of Sierra Leone. The living is a perpetual curacy, annual value £300, in the gift of the Bishop of Chichester, and held by the Rev. James Thomas Drake. The date of the Dicker register is 1843. Here is a Free school, which the lady of the manor has recently made over to the incumbent of the church. The Countess De La Warr (Baroness Buckhurst), is lady of the manor. See also CHIDDINGLY and HELLINGLY.
SESSINGHAM BRIDGE is a quarter of a mile north; WEEK STREET, one mile north; CHILVER BRIDGE, three quarters of a mile south-west; THORNWELL, one mile south-east; MOUNTAIN PINGREEN, a mile and a half south-east. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]