BARCOMBE is a parish and station, on the line of railway from Lewes to UckfieId, in the Eastern division of the county, union of Chailey, hundred of its own name, Lewes rape, county court district and archdeaconry, and diocese of Chichester 14 miles north from Lewes, and 6 from UckfieId. The church of St. Mary is an ancient structure, with nave, chancel, and south aisle, and has several monuments of the seventeenth century. The register dates from 1580. The living is a rectory, tithe rent-charge £960, with 49 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held by the Rev. Robert Allen. M.A., non-resident; the Rev. Alfred Allen, M.A., of Pembroke College, Cambridge, is the officiating curate. Here is a Parochial school, supported by the inhabitants. The soil is a mixed loam. The crops are wheat, oats and beans. John George Dodson Esq., M.P., for whom a mansion is now being built in this parish, is lord of the manor. The extensive corn and oil-seed crushing mills, belonging to Mr. Billiter, are in this parish. The area is 5,280 acres, and the population in 1861 was 1,090.
CONEYBURROWS is in this parish. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
|St Bartholomew, Spithurst, Church of England|
|St Francis of Assisi, Barcombe Cross, Church of England|
|The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, Barcombe, Church of England|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Barcombe to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Barcombe has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ420147 (Lat/Lon: 50.914303, 0.018605), Barcombe which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)