BARCOMBE is a parish and station, on the line of railway from Lewes to UckfieId, in the Eastern division of the county, union of Chailey, hundred of its own name, Lewes rape, county court district and archdeaconry, and diocese of Chichester 14 miles north from Lewes, and 6 from UckfieId. The church of St. Mary is an ancient structure, with nave, chancel, and south aisle, and has several monuments of the seventeenth century. The register dates from 1580. The living is a rectory, tithe rent-charge £960, with 49 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held by the Rev. Robert Allen. M.A., non-resident; the Rev. Alfred Allen, M.A., of Pembroke College, Cambridge, is the officiating curate. Here is a Parochial school, supported by the inhabitants. The soil is a mixed loam. The crops are wheat, oats and beans. John George Dodson Esq., M.P., for whom a mansion is now being built in this parish, is lord of the manor. The extensive corn and oil-seed crushing mills, belonging to Mr. Billiter, are in this parish. The area is 5,280 acres, and the population in 1861 was 1,090.
CONEYBURROWS is in this parish. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]