BIGNOR is a parish, 4 miles south from Petworth, in the Western division of the county; Bury hundred, rape of Arundel, Sutton incorporation, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, rural deanery of Midhurst, and Petworth county court district. The living is a rectory, yearly value, £143, in the gift of Lord Leconfield, and held by the Rev. Henry Sockett, of Exeter College, Oxford. The village is on the line of the Stane Street Roman way, and near the village the remains of a Roman villa have been uncovered, in which is a pavement of the period, of fine design and in excellent preservation. Area 1,145 acres; the population in 1861 was 167. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bignor to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Bignor has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU983146 (Lat/Lon: 50.922494, -0.602821), Bignor which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)