BURTON is a small parish, 3 and a half miles south-by-west from Petworth, in the Western division of the county, Rotherbridge hundred, rape of Arundel, Sutton union, Petworth county court district, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester. The church, which is beautifully situated in the park, is a neat structure in the Later English style, and consists of a nave and chancel. The living is a rectory, united with Coates, yearly value £113, in the gift of A. J. W. Biddulph, Esq. Burton House, the seat of Anthony John Wright Biddulph, Esq. J.P, stands partly in this and partly in the adjoining parish of Barlavington: it is an elegant mansion, situated in a richly wooded park, which is well stocked with deer, and surrounded by a very beautiful piece of water: attached to the mansion is a Roman Catholic chapel. In 1861 the population was 45; the acreage is 809.
COATES is a small parish, 4 miles south-east-by-south from Petworth, in the Western division of the county, Bury hundred, rape of Arundel, Sutton Union, and Petworth county court district. The parish is bounded on the north by the Rother navigation. The church is in the Early English style, and consists of nave, chancel and shingled spire. The living is consolidated with the rectory of Burton, value £78 per annum, in the gift of A. G. W. Biddulph, Esq. The views from the higher grounds, especially from Coates Castle, are extensive and strikingly beautiful. In 1861 the population was 78; area, 345 acres. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]