BURWASH is a parish partly in the hundred of Henhurst, partly in the hundred of Shoyswell, but chiefly in the hundred of Hawkesborough, Eastern division of the county, Ticehurst union, Tunbridge Wells county court district, Hastings rape, diocese of Chichester, archdeaconry of Lewes, 2 and a half miles south-west from Etchingham station, 48 from London, 12 from Tunbridge Wells, and 6 south-east-by-south from Wadhurst. The church of St. Bartholomew, partly in the Early English style of architecture and partly of later date, has nave, chancel, and aisles, and square tower with 5 bells, and was enlarged and thoroughly restored in 1856: the iron porch gate was the gift of Joshua Tilley, Esq.: the chancel is paved with Minton's encaustic tiles: there are memorial windows to members of the family of the late Rev. Joseph Gould, M.A.: there are several tablets to the Constable, Mackenzie, Philcox, Dyke, and Cason families. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory and vicarage, tithes commuted at £1,119 per annum, with residence, in the gift of the representatives of the late Rev. Joseph Gould, M.A. A National school, in which about 126 boys and the same number of girls are educated, has an endowment of £35 10s. per annum, arising from property in land and stock purchased with the amount of contributions. There are some handsome residences in the parish. In 1860 a police station was erected, with an officer's residence. Here are places of worship for Calvinists, Independents, and Wesleyans. The Earls of Chichester and Ashburham are lords of the manor; and Lord Ashburnham, Fuller Meyrick, Esq., Edward Hussey, Esq., and the Rev. John Constable are the chief landowners. The area is 7,321 acres, and the population in 1861 was 2,143.
THE TOTT is half a mile east; FRANCHISE, one mile north-west; SHOYSWELL, 2 miles north; CROWHURST BRIDGE, one mile north-east. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
|St Philip, Burwash Common, Church of England|
|The Parish Church of St Bartholomew, Burwash, Church of England|
|Burwash Congregational Chapel, Burwash, Congregational|
|High Street, Burwash, Presbyterian|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Burwash to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Burwash has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ675247 (Lat/Lon: 50.997318, 0.385635), Burwash which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)