BURY is a large parish, giving name to a hundred, in the Western division of the county, rape and deanery of Arundel, Sutton union, Petworth county Court district, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, on the Arundel road, and the navigable river Arun, 5 miles north from Arundel. The church is ancient, consisting of a nave, aisle, and chancel, in the Early English style: the pews and sittings are very old, but the interior has been repaired, and the chancel rebuilt: it has a square tower, surmounted by a spire, and 4 bells. The register dates from 1560. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £364, with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester, and held by the Rev. James Carleton King, M.A., of St. Mary Hall, Oxford. Here are National schools for boys & girls, under the management of the vicar. The parish comprises 3,340 acres; in 1861 the population was 500.
WEST BURTON is a tithing of Bury, 1 mile north-west, and Horncroft is a hamlet, 2 miles north-west. Parish Clerk, Robert Humphrey. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bury to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Bury has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ011133 (Lat/Lon: 50.910325, -0.563358), Bury which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)