CLAPHAM is a village and parish, 55 miles south-south-west from London, and 4 north-west from Worthing, in the Western division of the county, Sutton incorporation, Brightford hundred, Worthing county court district, rape of Bramber, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, and deanery of Arundel. The living is a rectory, value £157 per annum, with residence, in the gift of Lady Brooke Pechell, and held by the Rev. William Nourse, M.A. of St. Alban Hall, Oxford. The area is 1,794 acres: population 252.
HOLT and COATES are one mile south-east. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Clapham to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Clapham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ095064 (Lat/Lon: 50.846769, -0.445989), Clapham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)