CLIMPING is a parish, in the Western division of the county, Avisford hundred, East Preston incorporation, Arundel rape, deanery and county court district, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, bounded on the west by Middleton and Yapton, on the north by Ford, and on the south it is washed by the waters of the English channel. It includes all that remains of the parish of Cudlawe, or Cudlow, of which little more than 80 acres have escaped the devastations of the sea. The village is situated in the eastern part of the parish, about half a mile from the banks of the navigable Arun, a mile and a half from Arundel station, 72 miles from London, 6 north-east from Bognor and 4 south-east from Arundel. The register dates from 1678. The living is a vicarage, value £304 per annum, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor and held by the Rev. Owen Malden, LL.B., of Trinity Hall, Cambridge. The chief landed proprietors are the Governors of Christ's Hospital. The soil is loam. The population in 1861 was 331, and the area is 2,185 acres chiefly arable land.
ATHERINGTON is a hamlet on the sea shore, one mile south [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]