COMPTON is a parish and small pleasant village, 10 miles north-west from Chichester, and 5 south from Petersfield, in the Western division of the county, Westbourne hundred and union, Chichester rape, county court district, diocese and archdeaconry, and rural deanery of Boxgrove. In "Domesday Survey" it is thus referred to:- "Gorsfrid holds Contone of the Earl Harold; Ibern held it of Earl Godwin." In 1399, John, Duke of Exeter, held the manor; it afterwards passed to the Brownes, and then to the Peckhams, from whom by marriage it passed to the Phippses. The church of St. Mary is a neat structure in the Early and Decorated English styles, and consists of chancel, nave and south aisle: it has been repaired and beautified, and contains some neat monuments to the families of Peckham and Phipps. The register commences in 1558. The living is a vicarage, united with that of Upmarden, joint annual value £507, in the gift of, and held by, the Rev. George Augustus Langdale, M.A., of St. John's College, Cambridge. Here is a National school for boys and girls. Admiral Sir Phipps Hornby, G.C.B., is lord of the manor and chief owner of the soil. The area is 1,661 acres, and the population in 1861 was 266. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Compton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Compton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU776147 (Lat/Lon: 50.926545, -0.89724), Compton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)