COWFOLD is a parish, 2 miles east from West Grinstead railway station, 6 south-west from Cuckfield, and 7 south from Horsham, in the Western division of the county, Windham hundred, Cuckfield union and county court district, rape of Bramber, diocese of Chichester, and archdeaconry of Lewes. The church of St. Peter has a good tower in the Perpendicular style, and contains the well-known brass monument to the memory of Thomas Neland, Prior of Lewes. The register dates from 1558. The living is a vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes value about £500 per annum, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of London, and held by the Ven. William Bruere Otter, M.A., of St. Peter's College, Cambridge, archdeacon of Lewes. There is a National school for boys and a small public reading-room. The principal landowners are the Rev. William Margesson, the Rev. John Goring, and Mrs. Broadwood. The population in 1861 was 946; area, 4,458 acres.
OCKENDEN is one mile east; WOOLDRINGFOD, 2 miles north. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cowfold to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Cowfold has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ213226 (Lat/Lon: 50.990028, -0.273072), Cowfold which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)