EAST WITTERING is a parish, in the Western division of the county, Manhood hundred, Chichester rape, county court district, diocese. and archdeaconry, West Hampnett union, and rural deanery of Boxgrove, 7½ miles south-west from Chichester, adjoining the parishes of Earnley, Birdham, and West Wittering. From the mouth of Chichester harbour to the extremity of Selsey Bill, a distance of about 8 miles, the sea has encroached so as to have absorbed a large portion of the prebendal manor of Bracklesham. The church (name not known) is a small building, with wooden belfry, nave and chancel. The living is a rectory, value £190 per annum, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of London, and held by the Rev. John Cooke, M.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. The parish contains an area of 1,260 acres of arable and pasture land, and the population in 1861 was 223. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from East Wittering to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which East Wittering has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SZ805963 (Lat/Lon: 50.760719, -0.860024), East Wittering which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)