EGDEAN is a small parish, 2 miles south-east from Petworth, in the Western division of the county, rape of Arundel, hundred of Rotheridge, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, rural deanery of Midhurst, Sutton union, and county court district of Petworth. The church (name not known) is small, and possesses nothing of interest. The register commences in 1646. The living is a rectory, value £110 per annum in the gift of Lord Leconfield, and held by the Rev. William T. C. Brande, M.A., of Christ Church, Oxford, who resides at Pulborough. The population in 1861 was 85; the acreage 710; and the assessment £674. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Egdean to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Egdean has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU998209 (Lat/Lon: 50.978871, -0.579762), Egdean which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)