FALMER is a parish and railway station, in the Eastern division of the county, Newhaven union, Younesmere hundred, Lewes rape, county court district, archdeaconry and rural deanery, diocese of Chichester, 54¼ miles from London, 4 north-east from Brighton and south-west from Lewes. The Brighton and Hastings branch railway passes through here, in a tunnel 200 yards in length, at the end of which there is a station. The church, rebuilt in 1817, is small, but extremely neat, with a square embattled tower, nave and chancel. The register dates from 1649. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Stanmer, joint net annual value £400, with residence, in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Earl of Chichester alternately, and held by the Rev. Charles George Torrington Barlow, M.A., of Balliol College, Oxford. The area is 4,358 acres, and the population in 1861 was 512.
BOLMER is one mile north-east; HOUSEDEAN, one mile east; BEVENDEAN, 2 miles south-west. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Falmer to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Falmer has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ354087 (Lat/Lon: 50.861964, -0.077445), Falmer which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)