FERRING (or WEST FERRING) is a parish, 64 miles south-south-west from London, one mile west from Goring railway station, 3 miles west from Worthing, and 4 east from Littlehampton in the Western division of the county, Poling hundred, East Preston incorporation, Worthing county court district, rape and rural deanery of Arundel, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester. The church is a small plain building, consisting of nave and chancel only. The earliest register dates 1558. The living is a vicarage, with that of East Preston and rectory of Kingston annexed, joint annual value, £250, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Chichester, and held by the Rev. Henry Dixon, M.A., of Brasenose College, Oxford. The population in 1861 was 253; area, 1,055 acres.
HANGLETON is a hamlet of this parish, half a mile north. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]