FLETCHING is a parish, 4 miles north-west from Uckfield railway station, 10 east from Cuckfield, and 40 from London, in the Eastern division of the county, Rushmonden hundred, Uckfield union, Pevensey rape, Lewes county court district and archdeaconry, and diocese of Chichester. The church of SS. Andrew and Mary the Virgin is a large and ancient building, with an Early Norman stone tower containing 6 bells, and shingle steeple upon it, of the height together of 100 feet; it comprises a nave, north and south aisles, transepts and chancel, separated from the nave by an ancient screen: attached to the north transept is the mausoleum of the family of the Earl of Sheffield; in this the illustrious Gibbon was buried, and his epitaph. written by Dr. Parr, appears among the inscriptions of the Sheffield family on the front of the mausoleum: the most ancient monument in the church is that of Sir Walter Dalyngruge, a fine brass of the date of about 1390: there is also a handsome Elizabethan marble monument of Richard Leche, Esq., and his lady, a family now extinct: an organ was presented in 1865 by Harriet Countess of Sheffield; the church is heated by hot water. The living is a vicarage, annual value £300, with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Sheffield, and held by the Rev. William Frederick Attenborough, M.A., of St. John's College, Cambridge. Sir John Villiers Shelley, Bart., of Maresfield Park is the lay impropriator of the great tithes. Sheffield Place, the seat of the Earl of Sheffield, is a modern Gothic structure, built on the foundations of a very ancient building: the entrance to the grounds is through a Gothic arch: the park is large and very beautiful, containing some fine timber, with two large pieces of water. Searles is the seat of Sir Thomas Maryon Wilson, Bart. The Earl of Sheffield, Sir Thomas Maryon Wilson, Bart., and Sir John Villiers Shelley, Bart., are lords of the manor. There is a National school. The parish comprises 8,463 acres, a great portion of which is wood and common land; the population in 1861 was 2,028.
Dane Hill, partly in Fletching and partly in Horsted Keynes parish, 3 miles north-west from Fletching, 8 south from East Grinstead, is now formed into an ecclesiastical district. The church of the Holy Trinity is a neat brick building; it has body and chancel. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £85 yearly, with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Sheffield, and held by the Rev. Robert John Shaw. There is a National school. The Baptists have a chapel here. Woodgate, the seat of Philip Butler, Esq., and Danehurst, the seat of Gen. Davies, are situated here. The population in 1861 was 963. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
|All Saints, Danehill, Church of England|
|Chelwood Gate Church, Chelwood Gate, Church of England|
|The Parish Church of St Andrew and St Mary the Virgin, Fletching, Church of England|
|Burial Ground, Danehill,|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Fletching to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Fletching has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ429235 (Lat/Lon: 50.993164, 0.03485), Fletching which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)