FUNTINGTON is a parish, 3 miles north from Emsworth station, and 5 north-west from Chichester, bordering on the Downs, in the Western division of the county, Bosham hundred, Chichester rape, county court district, diocese and archdeaconry, Westbourne union, and deanery of Boxgrove. The church of St. Mary, in the Later English style, consists of a chancel, nave, aisles, and embattled tower: the church has been restored, the chancel having a fine stained glass window, in memory of the mother of the incumbent: there is also some stained glass at the west end. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £150, with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Chichester, and held by the Rev. Stair Douglas, M.A., of Balliol College, Oxford. The principal landed proprietors are the Duke of Richmond, Earl Fitzhardinge, John Baring, Esq., Sir William Plunket De Bathe, Bart., and - Fort, Esq. The village, situated in the western part of the parish, is small but pleasant. Oakwood, the residence of John Baring, Esq., J.P., is a neat mansion. The population in 1861 was 1,090; the area is 3,635 acres.
EAST ASHLING and WEST ASHLING are tithings to Funtington.
At SENNICOTTS is a small chapel. The living is a perpetual curacy, annual value £50, in the gift of Christopher Teesdale, Esq., and held by the Rev. Charles Buckner, B.D., of Wadham College, Oxford. Sennicotts is a pleasant seat, delightfully situated, the property of the Rev. Charles Teesdale, now occupied by the Rev. John Hawker.
ADSDEAN (or Ashdean) is half a mile north; DENSWORTH, 2 miles south-east; WOODEND, one mile east. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]