GLYNDE is a parish, in which is the Glynde railway station, on the Lewes and Hastings line, 53 miles from London, 3 south-east from Lewes, in the Eastern division of the county, Ringmer hundred, Pevensey rape, West Firle union, Lewes county court district, archdeaconry and rural deanery, diocese of Chichester, a peculiar of Canterbury, and rural deanery of Rype. It derives its name from the old Saxon word glen, or valley. The church is in the Grecian style, and was erected in 1765. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £120, with residence and ten acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Dean and Canons of Windsor, who are also impropriators of the great tithes, yearly value £140; the Rev. William de St. Croix, M.A., of St. John's College, Cambridge, is the incumbent. On Mount Caburn, a high point on the Downs, are the remains of an earthwork, supposed to be Roman. Glynde Place is an ancient mansion, the seat of the Right Hon. Henry Bouverie William Brand, M.P. The area is 1,569 acres, and the population in 1861 was 321.
RANSCOMBE is one mile west. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Glynde to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Glynde has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ456083 (Lat/Lon: 50.855893, 0.067233), Glynde which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)