HARTFIELD is a village, parish, and railway station, giving name to a hundred, in the Eastern division of the county, East Grinstead union and county court district, Pevensey rape, diocese of Chichester, and archdeaconry of Lewes, 7¼ miles south-east from East Grinstead railway station, one mile west from Withyham, and 8½ miles southwest from Tunbridge Wells. The church of St. Mary is a neat stone structure, with square tower and 6 bells, and high shingled spire: it has nave and south aisle, and front gallery: there are tablets to the Maitland, Swiney, Henniker and Jowett families, and a handsome memorial tablet, placed by the rector in memory of his brother. the Rev. Henry Polehampton, chaplain to the garrison of Lucknow, and killed during the siege of that place in 1857: the church has been reseated with open sittings, accommodating 300 people, one hundred sittings being free and unappropriated, and generally restored, at the cost of £1,000. A handsome organ, of the value of £200, has also been presented, by C. Liddell, Esq., of Sandhurst. The register dates from 1697. The living is a rectory and vicarage, with the chapelry of St. Peter's annexed, yearly value £636, in the gift of the Earl De La Warr, and held by the Rev. Edward Polehampton M.A., of Pembroke College, Oxford. There is a chapel of ease at Holtye Common, 3½ miles north of the parish. There are several small charities in this parish. There is a National school for boys and girls, endowed with £45 per annum, and a school for the children of cottagers living in Ashdown Forest, entirely supported by Lady Darling, of Ridge House. The new Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1865, is a neat building of red brick. Here are also seven almshouses for the residence of poor persons; these are called the Countess of Thanet's Almshouses: they are very neat structures, situate on Holtye Common, and were rebuilt in 1840. The Earl De La Warr is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is clay and sandstone. There are about 70 acres of hop land in the parish, and a few handsome private residences. The new line of railway, just completed from East Grinstead to Tunbridge Wells, has a station here. The area is 10,267 acres, a great portion of which is forest land; the population in 1861 was 1451.
BOLEBROOK and PERRY HILL are one mile north; HOLLY HILL, 2 miles south-west; ASHDOWN PARK, 3 miles south-west. HOLTYE COMMON is a hamlet, 3½ miles north. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hartfield to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Hartfield has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ478358 (Lat/Lon: 51.102456, 0.109639), Hartfield which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)