HEATHFIELD is a parish, 6 miles south-west from Ticehurst Road station, 9 east from Uckfield station, 8 north from Hailsham, and 11 north-west from Battle station, in the Eastern division of the county, Hawkesborough hundred, Lewes county court district and archdeaconry, Hailsham union, Hastings rape, diocese of Chichester, and rural deanery of Dallington. The church of All Saints is a plain ancient structure, consisting of nave, two aisles and chancel, with square tower containing 6 bells, surmounted a wooden spire: the ancient chapel, long used as a vestry, on the south side of the church, was rebuilt in the year 1861. The parish register dates from 1581: there are mutilated fragments of a much earlier date. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £400, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Chichester, and held by the Rev. William Jackson, M.A., of Queen's College, Oxford. In the vicarage house is a library of 229 volumes, bequeathed to the use of the vicars of Heathfield for ever by the late Mr. Richard Wilkin, formerly bookseller in London, whose father was about 44 years vicar of Heathfield. Hare are a National school, rebuilt in 1864. an Independent chapel, and a Baptist chapel. A market for corn, seed and hops is held every Thursday at the Crown Inn. Heathfield Park, the seat of Sir Charles William Blunt, Bart., J.P., is beautifully situated and well wooded, commanding extensive sea views: the house, which is modern and commodious, is situated on the east side of the park, and on the west side is the Gibraltar Tower, erected by Francis Newberry, Esq., to commemorate the gallant Conduct of General Elliott at the siege of Gibraltar. The Earls of Ashburnham, Chichester, and De La Warr are lords of the manor. The parish comprises 7,970 acres, and contained in 1861 a population of 1,892.
CADE STREET is half a mile north; Punnett's Town, 2 miles east; Street End, 2 north; Runtington, 1½ south-west, are places in this parish. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
|St George, Broad Oak, Church of England|
|St Peter, Punnett's Town, Church of England|
|St Richard, Heathfield, Church of England|
|The Parish Church of All Saints, Old Heathfield, Church of England|
|Ebenezer Strict Baptist Chapel, Broad Oak, Baptist|
|Union Church, Heathfield, Baptist|
|Welcome Baptist Church, Heathfield, Baptist|
|Heathfield Chapel, Punnett's Town, Heathfield, Congregational|
|St Catherine, Heathfield, Roman Catholic|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Heathfield to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Heathfield has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ583213 (Lat/Lon: 50.96937, 0.253159), Heathfield which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)