HEYSHOTT is a small village and parish, 2 miles south from Midhurst, in the Western division of the county, Sutton union, Easebourne hundred, Chichester rape, diocese and archdeaconry, Midhurst rural deanery and county court district. The manor originally formed a part of the possessions held by William de Perci, of Roger, Earl de Montgomery: in the reign of Henry VIII. Henry Earl of Northumberland sold the lordship to Sir William Fitzwilliam, who held it of the king as part of the honour of Petworth: in 1761 it passed to the Earl of Egremont, and is now the property of Lord Leconfield. The church (name not known) is a small building, which has been restored, in the Decorated and later styles of English architecture: it presents no feature of interest. The register commences in 1690. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Stedham, annual value £580, in the gift of the Rev. L. Vernon Harcourt and Hon. Mrs. Vernon Harcourt, and held by the Rev. Caleb Collins, M.A., of St. John's College, Cambridge, who resides at Stedham. The area is 2,171 acres, and the population in 1861 was 396.
DURNFORD is the seat of Mrs. Cobden. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]