HORSHAM is a borough union market town, parish, and polling place for the Western division of the county, 37½ miles from London by railway and 35½ by road, 22 north from Brighton, and 9 from the Three Bridges station, in Singlecross hundred, rape of Bramber, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, and rural deanery of Storrington. It is not incorporated. .
The parish church of St. Mary is of very ancient date, much Norman work, having been discovered during the late restoration. The register dates from 1540. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £750, with residence, in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and held by the Rev. John Fisher Hodgson, M.A., of Christ Church, Oxford, prebendary of Chichester Cathedral and rural dean and surrogate; the Revs. J. Arthur Henry Scott, M.A. of Magdalen Hall, Oxford, and George Gavin Maclean, M.A., of Wadham College, Oxford, are the curates.
St. Mark's chapel was built A.D. 1840, annual value £100, in the gift of the vicar and held by the Rev. Francis J. Mount, M.A. of Oriel College, Oxford.
The Roman Catholic chapel, built in 1864-65, is a neat structure, and is supplied from the monastery at Crawley: this edifice was erected at the sole expense of the Duchess of Norfolk.
The Grammar school was founded by Richard Collyer, in 1540, for sixty boys. Here are a Royal British, a National, and also an Infant school, and a new school-room for the girls in connection with the National school.
The parish constitutes the borough, and contains 10,770 acres; the population in 1851 was, 5,947, and in 1861 it was 6,747.
BROADBRIDGE HEATH, 2 miles west, is partly in this parish and partly in Sullington: it consists of an extensive farm, in the occupation of W. M. Stanford, Esq and a few cottages.
ROUGHEY is 3 miles north-east: it consists of a few farmhouses and cottages. Here is an iron church, capable of accommodating 80 persons.
SOUTHWATER a small village and railway station, and consolidated district chapelry, on the Horsham, Henfield, Steyning and Shoreham line, 3 miles south from Horsham by road and 4½ by rail, combines portions of the parishes of Horsham and Shipley.
Fuller description [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]