HORSTED KEYNES is a parish, 8 miles south from East Grinstead, 5 north-east from Hayward's Heath station, 9 from Uckfield, and 40 from London, in the Eastern division of the county, Cuckfield union and county court district, Horsted hundred, Pevensey rape, diocese of Chichester, and archdeaconry of Lewes. The church is an ancient cruciform stone building, with a tower and spire rising from the centre, containing 3 bells and a clock. Archbishop Leighton resided during the last ten years of his life in this parish, and his remains lie interred in the churchyard: he died in the year 1684: a new tombstone was erected in 1857 over his grave: there are monuments and tablets to the Wyatt Family, bearing date 1753, &c., &c. The register dates from 1638. The living is a rectory; the tithes are commuted at £505 per annum, with residence in the gift of John Francis Austen, Esq., and held by the Rev. William Plucknett, M.A., of St. John's College, Cambridge. There are National schools; also a chapel for Independents. The soil is clay and sand. The Rt. Hon. H. Brand, M.P., is lord of the manor. General F. J. Davies and Robert Sharpe, Esq., are the principal landowners. In 1861 the population was 790; the area is 4,304 acres.
DANEHILL is a mile and a half east. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
|Cinder Hill Mission Church, Cinder Hill, Horsted Keynes, Church of England|
|St John the Baptist's Chapel, Freshfield, Horsted Keynes, Church of England|
|The Parish Church of St Giles, Horsted Keynes, Church of England|
|Horsted Keynes Congregational Hall, Horsted Keynes, Congregational|
|Horsted Keynes Mission Hall, Horsted Keynes, Congregational|
|St Stephen, Horsted Keynes, Roman Catholic|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Horsted Keynes to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Horsted Keynes has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ383282 (Lat/Lon: 51.036525, -0.028864), Horsted Keynes which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)