IFORD is a parish, 3 miles south from Lewes station, 57 from London, and 4 from Newhaven, in the Eastern division of the county, Swanborough hundred, Newhaven union, Lewes rape, county court district, archdeaconry and rural deanery, and diocese of Chichester. The church of St. Nicholas is small and ancient, with nave, chancel. low square tower and shingled spire. The register dates from 1557. The living is a vicarage, to which that of Kingston, near Lewes was united in 1666, yearly value £343, with residence, in the gift of and held by the Rev. Thomas Bedford, M.A., of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. Mrs. Rosseter, Manor House, Iford is the owner of the great tithes. The parish comprises 2,173 acres, and the population in 1861 was 167.
SWANBOROUGH is half a mile north-west. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]