ITCHINGFIELD is a village and parish, 41 miles from London, and 4 south-west from Horsham, in the Western division of the county, East Easwrith hundred, Horsham union and county court district, rape of Bramber, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, and rural deanery of Storrington. The church of St. Nicholas is very ancient, supposed to have been erected in the twelfth century, and has a very elegant spire, and a musical peal of 5 bells: the church has recently been restored, at a cost of upwards of £1,700, of which £500 was borrowed from the Public Works Loan Commissioners, and £550 was contributed by the rector and his friends for the restoration of the chancel, and the remainder was raised by general subscription andgrants from the church building societies: the chancel is separated from the nave by an oak screen and gates. There are some beautiful carved bosses, and some good specimens of Early Norman work in the windows and doorways. The register commences in 1700. The living is a rectory, yearly value £400, with residence, in the gift of, and held by, the Rev. John Haworth Milne, M.A., of Brasenose College, Oxford. Here is a neat National school. Here is a charity of about £13 10s., left for the instruction of poor children by Miss Merlott. Dallaway mentions that after the Scotch rebelled in 1715, some of the attainted persons took refuge in the woods of Itchingfield, and were permitted to reside with their countryman, the Rev. Alexander Hay, the then rector of this parish: indeed, we can hardly imagine a more suitable place for concealment than the parsonage-house, situated, as it was at that time, in the centre of a dense forest, through which there was scarcely a passable road. Sir Percy F. Shelley, Bart., and Mrs. Chitty are the chief landowners. The soil is strong clay, and the place is noted for the richness of its oak. The Horsham and Guildford direct line of railway passes through the parish and the junction on the Mid-Sussex, the Horsham, Henfield, Steyning, and Shoreham, and the Horsham and Guildfordlines, is about a mile from the village. The parish comprises 2,470 acres, and the population in 1861 was 377.
BARNES GREEN is a mile and a half south; Muntham, one mile south-west, is the seat of Mrs. Chitty; it was granted by William the Conqueror to the Merlott family. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Itchingfield to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Itchingfield has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ132289 (Lat/Lon: 51.048305, -0.386467), Itchingfield which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)