KIRDFORD is a village, and, with PLAISTOW chapelry forms a very extensive parish, in the Western division of the county, Petworth union and county court district, Arundel rape, Rotherbridge hundred, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, and rural deanery of Midhurst, 5½ miles west from Billingshurst railway station, 5 north-east from Petworth, and extends northward to the borders of Surrey. The union workhouse for the aged poor, is situated here. The church of St. John the Baptist is principally in the Early English style, with square tower containing 6 bells and a clock. The living is a vicarage, with the chapelry of Plaistow annexed, gross annual value £500 per annum, with a good residence and 7 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Lord Leconfield, and held by the Rev. John Francis Cole, B.A., of Worcester College, Oxford; the Earl of Winterton is the owner of a great portion of the great tithes. A church, with a residence for the incumbent, is now (1866) being erected at Ebernoe, about 4 miles from the village of Kirdford: they are built by subscription, the largest contributors being Lord Leconfield and William Peachey Esq., J.P. the latter having presented the site. The soil is a stiff clay, with sub-soil of same. The Earl of Winterton, Lord Leconfield, the representatives of the late Lady Newburg, John Napper, Esq., and Richard Hasler, Esq., and William Peachey, Esq., J.P., are the chief landowners. The principal crops are oats, wheat, barley, and pasture. The principal residences are Shillinglee Park, Earl of Winterton; Ifold, John Napper, Esq., J.P., Ebernoe, William Peachey, Esq., J P.; Barkfold, Captain Barwell; and Sladeland, Joseph Godman, jun., Esq. Thepopulation in 1861 was 1,784, and the number of acres 12,275, nearly one-third of which is woodland: the acreage, including waste land, is over 15,000.
PLAISTOW Chapelry is a large district and village, 3 miles north; a chapel was erected in 1854-55 by subscription, where divine service is performed once every Sunday. Here is a village or dame's school, which receives the support Of the gentry of the parish. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]