LANCING is a railway station and pleasant parish, 58¾ miles south from London, 2 west from Shoreham, and 2 north-east from Worthing, in the Western division of the county, Brightford hundred, Worthing count court district, rape of Bramber, Chichester diocese and archdeaconry, and rural deanery of Storrington. The church is a neat structure, in the Early English style: it has nave, chancel, north and south aisles, tower with 3 bells, and has been repewed. The register dates from 1580. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £151. with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of London, and held by the Rev. Frederick Fisher Watson, M.A. of Caius College, Cambridge. The parish is bounded on the east by the river Adur and Shoreham harbour, and on the south by the English Channel. Lancing Manor, the seat of Col. George Carr-Lloyd, J.P. (to whom the chief portion of the soil belongs), is at Upper Lancing. St. Nicolas College in this parish, as a public school, carried on in a large and beautiful building: it was founded in the year 1848 by the Rev. N. Woodard, and carried on for the first ten years of its existence in the neighbouring parish of Shoreham: this school forms part of a large scheme for the education of the middle classes, on the principles of the Church of England: with this object the Society of St. Nicolas College, of which the bishop of the diocese is visitor, has already established three large schools in this county: one at Lancing, for the sons of gentlemen. clergy, professional men, &c.; one at Hurstpierpoint, for the sons of farmers and tradesmen, or of professional men who cannot afford the higher expense of the Lancing School; and one at Shoreham, for the lower middle classes, small tradesmen, clerks, &c. There is also another large educational establishment at South Lancing - the Lancing Grammar school, conducted by William W. Pyne, M.C.P., where pupils are prepared for the Cambridge and Oxford middle class examinations. Here is also a National School. The South Coast Railway passes through the parish, and has a station at Lower Lancing. The area is 2,524 acres, and the population in 1861 was 901. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
|Church of the Good Shepherd, Shoreham Beach, Church of England|
|St Michael and All Angels, South Lancing, Church of England|
|The Parish Church of St James the less, Lancing, Church of England|
|Lancing and Sompting Cemetery, Lancing,|
|The Holy Family, Lancing, Roman Catholic|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Lancing to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Lancing has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ182056 (Lat/Lon: 50.837868, -0.322723), Lancing which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)