LAUGHTON is a Parish, 6 miles north-cast from Lewes Station, and 7 from Hailsham, in the Eastern division of the county, Shiplake hundred, Pevensey rape and rural deanery, Hailsham union, county court district and archdeaconry of Lewes, and diocese of Chichester. In the church (name unknown), which is small, and consists of nave and chancel, is a burial place of the Pelham family; and in a vault beneath are the remains of more than forty of that noble and now ducal house. The register dates from 1650. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £256, with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Chichester, and held by the Rev. Charles Dennis Charlton, M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge, Here is a police station of the Sussex constabulary. The manor of Laughton, which belongs to the Earl of Chichester is very extensive, comprehendingnearly the whole of the six Parishes forming the hundred of Shiplake. Laughton Lodge is the seat of Sir James Duke, Bart., Alderman of the City of London. The parish comprises 5,075 acres, and the population in 1861 was 742.
HALLAND PARK, formerly the principal seat of the Pelham family, from Sir. John Pelham, famous in the reign of Edward III., is now merely a substantial farmhouse, and is 2 Miles north; SHORT GATE, 2 miles north-west; COLBRANDS, one mile west. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]