LINDFIELD is a village and parish, constituting the hundred of Burarches or Burleigh Arches, in the Eastern division of the county, rape of Pevensey, Cuckfield union, petty sessional district and county court jurisdiction, diocese of Chichester, archdeaconry of Lewes, 39 miles from London, 3½ east from Cuckfield, and one mile and a half north-east from Hayward's Heath station, delightfully situated on the summit of a hill, and on the banks of the river Ouse, which was formerly navigable for barges to this place. The church of St. Peter is a noble structure, evidencing great antiquity: it has spire, nave, chancel, aisles and transepts, front gallery and organ: there are monuments to the Board, Covert, Brett, and Crawford families: it was re-pewed in 1848 and contains 570 sittings, 200 of which are free: it stands on commanding high ground, at the north entrance of the village. The register dates from 1559. The living is a perpetual curacy, annual value £100, in the gift of William Mosson Kearnes, Esq. and held by the Rev. Frederick Mills. The British schools, which form one of the most important institutions of the place, originated in the benevolence of the late William Allen, the philanthropist, who resided many years in the parish: they have for many years been the means of furnishing a sound and scriptural education to the children of the labouring and industrial classes of Lindfield and its vicinity: they are open to all denominations; about one half now in attendance belong to the Established Church, the other half being dissenters: the number of children now attending is 223. the schools are sustained by voluntary offerings: there is also a National school at Scaynes Hill: Divine service is held in the schoolroom once every Sunday. The Congregational Church was rebuilt in 1858, and has sittings for 500 persons. The Baptists have a chapel at Scaynes Hill. There are several small charities. The village consists of one wide street, in which there are some well-stocked shops and good residences. The Local Government Act was adopted here in 1858, and the place is well drained: there is a good supply of pure water from many excellent springs, and the village is lighted with gas: there are some handsome villa residences, and many respectable lodging houses, two good hotels, a brewery, a literary and musical institute with library, and a branch of the London and County Joint Stock Bank. The extensive pianoforte manufactory belonging to Mr. T. D. Durrant is situated in the village: it was established in 1840, and employs a large number of hands. A burial board was formed in 1854; and the Cemetery, which is one mile east of the village, was opened in the same year. The County Asylum stands on an eminence, about a mile and a half south. Fairs are held on the 1st of April for sheep, and the 5th of August for lambs and cattle, and are very largely attended from all parts of the country. The Ouse Valley line of railway, now in course of construction, from Balcombe to Uckfield and Hailsham runs through the parish and will have a station here. The village is noted for its extremely healthy situation, and for the picturesque and charming scenery by which it is surrounded: the beautiful common at the south end of the village adds very much to the attraction of the place. A large number of visitors from Brighton and London stay here during the summer months. Pax Hill Park, the beautiful seat of Peter Northall Laurie, Esq., J.P. is situated on an eminence, about half a mile from the village. Buxshalls is the handsome residence of William Dixon Jollands, Esq. Gravelye, Summer Hill, Beadle Hill, Sunte House, Oat Hall, The Welkin, Milton House, and Little Walsted are also residences in this parish.
SCAYNES HILL is about 2 miles south.
The area is 5,776 acres, and the population in 1861 was 1,917 [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
|St Augustine of Canterbury, Scaynes Hill, Church of England|
|The Parish Church of All Saints (previously St John the Bapt, Lindfield, Church of England|
|Lindfield United Reformed Church, Lindfield, United Reformed Church|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Lindfield to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Lindfield has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ347254 (Lat/Lon: 51.012215, -0.081217), Lindfield which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)