LODSWORTH is a parish and liberty, with the hamlet of LICKFOLD, in the Western division of the county, county Court district of Petworth, Chichester rape, diocese and archdeaconry, hundred of Easebourne, rural deanery and union of Midhurst, situate halfway. between Midhurst and Petworth 3½ miles from each of these towns. The manor is described in ancient records as a liberty, having the benefit of certain exemptions, granted to the Bishop of London, who at one time was lord of the manor: it was granted by Henty VIll. to Sir Anthony Browne, and thus became part of Cowdry. The church of St.Peter, an ancient edifice, consists of nave, chancel, two side aisles, north and south transepts, and square tower containing 3 bells, and has been completely restored. The register commences in 1563. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £56 per annum, with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Egmont, and held by the Rev. Leopold S. Clarke, B.C.L, of New College, Oxford. Here is a neat substantial National school for boys and girls. The Earl of Egmont is lord of the manor and impropriator of the tithes. The parish is about 8 miles long, and extends over 1,805 acres, and had in 1861 a population of 629. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Lodsworth to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Lodsworth has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU928230 (Lat/Lon: 50.998919, -0.678909), Lodsworth which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)