MOUNTFIELD is a parish, 2½ miles south from Robertsbridge station, 65 from London by railway, and 54 by road, 4 north from Battle, in the Eastern division of the county, Netherfield hundred, Battle union, Hastings rape and county court district, diocese of Chichester, archdeaconry of Lewes, and rural deanery of Dallington. The living is a vicarage, value £189 per annum, in the gift of Earl De La Warr, and held by the Rev. William Margesson, of Christ Church, Oxford. Here is a National school. The Earl of Ashburnham, E. C. Egerton, Esq., M.P., and William Rushton Adamson, Esq., are lords of the manor. Rushton Park, the seat of William Rushton Adamson, Esq., J.P., is a handsome and well arranged mansion, situated on an eminence in extensive grounds, commanding beautiful views of the surrounding country: the pleasure grounds cover about five acres: the forcing garden consists of two ranges of houses, each 160 feet long: the house and stables are supplied with gas made on the premises. Mountfield Court, the seat of Edward ChristopherEgerton, Esq., M.P., is situated in a well wooded park, and commands beautiful and extensive views. The parish comprises 3,841 acres, and had a population of 585 in 1861.
Whatlington is a hamlet, about one mile from Mountfield. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]