Hide

New Shoreham

hide
Hide

SHOREHAM is a union town, seaport, parliamentary borough, and railway station, on the south coast, at the mouth of the river Adur, 56½ miles from London, 6 west from Brighton, 22 east from Chichester, 5 east from Worthing, and 6 south from Steyning, in the Western division of the county, Fishergate hundred, Brighton county court district, rape of Bramber, Steyning union, diocese of Chichester, and archdeaconry of Lewes. Its trade is chiefly in coals, corn, and timber, and it also has a considerable French trade: shipbuilding forms a prominent branch; it is also an excellent oyster station. The town consists of the parishes of New and Old Shoreham, and is governed by a high constable, elected annually. The borough of New Shoreham includes the parishes of New and Old Shoreham, the town and parish of Steyning, and the whole of the rape of Bramber, and returns two members to Parliament. A fair is held on the 25th of July. The Local Government Act is in force here, having been adopted on 6th December, 1865.
The church of New Shoreham, named St. Nicolas and St. Mary the Virgin, is part of an ancient and beautiful structure and is an extremely interesting specimen of Norman architecture: it was originally cruciform, and one of the largest in the county: the architectural embellishments are still remarkable for their richness and variety, and present objects of great interest to the antiquary: a movement is now on foot to restore it to its original dimensions, the estimated cost of which will be upwards of £10,000, to be raised by voluntary subscriptions. The register dates from 1568. The living is a vicarage, value £120 per annum, with residence, in the gift of Magdalen College, Oxford, and held by the Rev. Harris Smith, D.D., of Oriel College, Oxford.
St. Saviour's School in this town is a Church of England school, for the education of the lower middle classes, of which the Bishop of Chichester is visitor: it was founded in 1858, and now contains about 220 boys, sons of small tradesmen, farmers, &c.: it is an offshoot of a large institution (St. Nicolas College), of which particulars are given in the account of the neighbouring parish of Lancing.
The Protestant Grammar school is a large establishment, under the superintendence of W. H. Harper, Esq., where pupils are prepared for the Universities and public schools.
An elegant suspension-bridge was erected in 1832, by his Grace the then Duke of Norfolk, over the river Adur.
The town is lighted by gas. Here are a custom-house, police station, and a recently-established board of health. Charles II. made his escape from Shoreham to Fecamp, after the battle of Worcester.
Steyning Union House is in Shoreham, and contains about 80 inmates.
Here are chapels for Independents, Primitive Methodists, and Wesleyans.
Buckingham House and Park, the seat of H. Bridger, Esq., is a short distance north of the town.
The area of Old Shoreham is 1,870 acres; New Shoreham, 170 acres. The population in 1861 was - Old Shoreham, 282; borough of New Shoreham, 3,351, and is now upwards of 4,000. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]

Hide
topup

Directories

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which New Shoreham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ215052 (Lat/Lon: 50.83359, -0.276012), New Shoreham which are provided by: