NINFIELD (or NINEFIELD) is a parish, in the Eastern division of the county, Ninfield hundred, Hailsham union, Hastings rape and county court district, diocese of Chichester, archdeaconry of Lewes, and rural deanery of Dallington, 9&fract12; miles west from Hastings, 5 from Battle station, and 73 from London, east of the river Ashbourne. The village is delightfully situated on a hill, which commands rich and interesting prospects of the vicinity, including Battle Abbey, Hastings, Crowhurst Park, the English Channel, Pevensey Bay and Eastbourne. The church of St. Mary is a small edifice, consisting of a nave, chancel, and low square tower with 1 bell. The register dates from 1691. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £451, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury, and held by the Rev. George Rainier, B.A., of Brasenose College, Oxford. The highest ground in the parish is the celebrated spot called Standard Hill, where according totradition, William the Norman set up his standard after the ever-memorable battle of Hastings. The parish comprises an area of 2,554 acres, and had a population in 1861 of 587.
MOOR HALL, Message, Pashley, and Ingrams are farms in this parish. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]