NINFIELD (or NINEFIELD) is a parish, in the Eastern division of the county, Ninfield hundred, Hailsham union, Hastings rape and county court district, diocese of Chichester, archdeaconry of Lewes, and rural deanery of Dallington, 9&fract12; miles west from Hastings, 5 from Battle station, and 73 from London, east of the river Ashbourne. The village is delightfully situated on a hill, which commands rich and interesting prospects of the vicinity, including Battle Abbey, Hastings, Crowhurst Park, the English Channel, Pevensey Bay and Eastbourne. The church of St. Mary is a small edifice, consisting of a nave, chancel, and low square tower with 1 bell. The register dates from 1691. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £451, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury, and held by the Rev. George Rainier, B.A., of Brasenose College, Oxford. The highest ground in the parish is the celebrated spot called Standard Hill, where according totradition, William the Norman set up his standard after the ever-memorable battle of Hastings. The parish comprises an area of 2,554 acres, and had a population in 1861 of 587.
MOOR HALL, Message, Pashley, and Ingrams are farms in this parish. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ninfield to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Ninfield has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ705125 (Lat/Lon: 50.886829, 0.422641), Ninfield which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)