NORTH MUNDHAM is a pleasant village and parish, 2 miles south-west from Drayton, 63 from London, 2 south-east from Chichester, in the Western division of the county, Box and Stockbridge hundred, Chichester rape, county court district, diocese and archdeaconry, West Hampnett union, and rural deanery of Boxgrove. The church of St. Stephen is ancient, and has a neat square tower with 3 bells. The register dates from 1558. The living is a discharged vicarage, value £257 per annum, with, that of Hunston annexed, joint annual value £645, with residence, in the gift of the late J. B. Fletcher, Esq., and held by the Rev. Charles Dudding Holland, B.A., of Caius College, Cambridge. A school for boys and girls is supported by local subscription. The Arundel and Portsmouth Canal passes through the parish. The principal landed proprietors are MissMerricks and John Bayton, Esq. Runcton House, the seat of the Merricks family, is in this parish. The area is 1,882 acres;the population in 1861 was 426.
RUNCTON and FISHER are hamlets of this parish. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from North Mundham to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which North Mundham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU875022 (Lat/Lon: 50.812751, -0.759398), North Mundham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)