NUTHURST is a village and parish, 42 miles from London, and 4 south from Horsham station, in the Western division of the county, Singlecross hundred, rape of Bramber, and Horsham union and county court district. The church of St. Andrew is a neat structure in the Early Decorated style, consisting of nave, chancel, and porch: the entrance to the porch is constructed of oak, and the spandrils contain the lily and other flowers richly carved: there is a shingle spire risingfrom the roof containing 3 bells: the roof and the pews are of oak: the font, of Purbeck marble, is octagonal and veryancient: there are some handsome stained glass windows; the eastern one contains some remains of an old window, and hasrepresentations of angels worshipping: the church was considerably enlarged in 1856, at a cost of £2,400, the greater part of which was the gift of J. T. Nelthorpe, Esq.; the Society for Promoting the Enlargement of Churches and Chapels granted £100, and the remainder was contributed by the rector, the inhabitants, and others. The parish registers date from the fifteenth century, and are in a good state of preservation. The living is a rectory, the tithes are committed at £480 perannum, in the gift of the Bishop of London, and held by the Rev. John Ommanney McCarogher, M.A., of Magdalen College, Oxford. A neat rectory house was built in 1859; Mr. Ferrey, of London, was the architect. There is a National school for boys and girls, supported by voluntary contributions and a small weekly payment from the scholars. J. T. Nelthorpe, Esq., J.P., Walter Burrell, Esq., and Major John Aldridge, J.P., are the chief landowners. Nuthurst Lodge is the delightful seat of J. T. Nelthorpe, Esq., J.P. situated on an eminence, with commanding views of the South Down hills and Shoreham harbour. The population in 1861 was 767; area, 3,260 acres.
COPSALE and MANNING'S HEATH are in this parish. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]