ORE is a parish, in the Eastern division of the county, Baldslow hundred, and in the rape, union, county court district, and rural deanery of Hastings, from which place it is a mile and a half north-west, diocese of Chichester, and archdeaconry of Lewes. The church of St. Helen is a small plain edifice, consisting of a nave, chancel, a south aisle of later erection, two porches (one them used as the vestry), and a low square tower: the interior contains a trefoliated recess on the north side of the communion table, nearly concealed by a pew, and a sepulchral brass, with the effigies of a man and woman, the arms and inscription gone. The parish register dates from about 1600. The living is a discharged rectory, gross income £575, with residence, in the gift of trustees, and held by the Rev. William Twiss Turner, M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. Christ Church is a handsome structure in the Decorated style, consisting of nave, chancel, north aisle, and transept, with bell-turret: it was opened for divine worship in the summer of 1859, for the accommodation of that portion of the parish bordering on Fairlight. The Wesleyan chapel, which has lately been erected, is a neat Gothic structure, capable of accommodating about 200 persons. Here is the Hastings Union Workhouse. The Hastings Cemetery is also situated in this parish. The scenery in and around this parish is very beautiful. Ore Plate, the seat of Thomas Spalding, Esq., is a modern mansion, which has replaced one built by John of Gaunt. Coghurst Hall, the seat of Charles Hay Frewen, Esq., J.P., is a commodious mansion, situated in a fine park. Hurst Court College is a spacious mansion, is the seat of the Rev. Martin Reed, LL.D., who trains a limited number of young gentlemen for the Universities. The parish comprises 2,149 acres; the population in 1861 was 1,636. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
|Christ Church, Ore, Church of England|
|The Parish Church of St Helen, Ore, Church of England|
|Redlake Congregational Church, Ore, Congregational|
|St Helen, Ore, Methodist|
|The Holy Apostles, Ore, Roman Catholic|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ore to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Ore has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ837114 (Lat/Lon: 50.872905, 0.609553), Ore which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)