OVING is an extensive parish near Drayton station, 78 miles from London, 3 east from Chichester, in the Western division of the county. Box and Stockbridge hundred, rape of Chichester, West Hampnett union. The road from Bognor to Chichester passes through the parish, as does also the Arundel and Portsmouth Canal, mow disused. The church is in the Early English style: it is cruciform, consisting of a nave, north and south transepts, and a tower and spire at the east end: it was restored and beautified in 1841, at the expense of the late Miss Woods and the parish. The register dates from 1561. The living is a vicarage, value £350 per annum, in the gift of the Bishop of Chichester, and held by the Rev. Alexander Peters Birrell, M.A., of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge. Here are six handsome and commodious dwellings for the aged poor of the parish built by the late Miss Woods, and a school for boys and girls, established by the same lady. The Rev. George Henry Woods is the principal proprietor of the parish, and resides here at a beautiful mansion called Shopwyke House, about 2 miles from Chichester. The soil is light and fertile. The area is 2,946 acres, and the population in 1861 was 949.
COLWORTH and PORTFIELD are tithings in this parish. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Oving to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Oving has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU901050 (Lat/Lon: 50.837526, -0.721816), Oving which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)