OVINGDEAN is a parish, in the Eastern division of the county, Younsmere hundred, Lewes rape, Newhaven union, archdeaconry and rural deanery, diocese of Chichester, and Brighton county court district, one mile north-west from Rottingdean, 2¾ miles from Brighton, and 53 from London. The church (name unknown) is partly in the Norman style, is very ancient, and stands on the hill side; it consists of nave, chancel, and tower. The register dates from 1700. The living is a rectory, value £335 per annum, with residence, in the gift of, and held by, the Rev. Alfred Stead, M.A., of Caius College, Cambridge. King Charles II., after his defeat at the Battle of Worcester, was concealed for a short time atOvingdean, whence he made hie escape in a small vessel from Shoreham to Fecamp. Charles Beard, Esq., is the owner of the greater part of the land, which he farms. The area is 1,618 acres, of which upwards of 600 acres are downs; the population in 1861 was 121. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
|Church of the Resurrection, Woodingdean, Church of England|
|Holy Cross, Woodingdean, Church of England|
|The Parish Church of St Wulfran, Ovingdean, Church of England|
|St Patrick, Woodingdean, Roman Catholic|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ovingdean to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Ovingdean has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ355036 (Lat/Lon: 50.816105, -0.077909), Ovingdean which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)