PATCHAM is a parish, pleasantly situated, 3 miles north from Brighton, on the verge of the South Downs, constituting Dean hundred, in the Eastern division of the county, Lewes rape and archdeaconry, Steyning union, diocese of Chichester, and Brighton county court district. The church of All Saints is a very neat building, situated on rising ground, and is a prominent object from the road, having at the west end a square embattled tower. The living is a vicarage, value £110 per annum, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held by the Rev. Henry Allen, M.A. Patcham Place, the seat of Colonel John Paine, J.P., through whose estate the London and Brighton Railway passes, is a handsome building, erected in the early part of the reign of Queen Elizabeth, and is situate in the Downs, flanked with a fine hanging wood, intersected with walks and with a fine luxuriant lawn, and bounded by the road from London to Brighton. The Earl of Abergavenny (lord of the manor), Col. Paine and Lady Ogle, are chief landowners. The soil is chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, turnips and pasture. A National school has been erected. The area is 4,398 acres, and the population in 1861 was 638.
Withdean is a pleasant hamlet in the parish of Patcham, a mile and a half north from Brighton, and may be considered a suburb of Brighton. Withdean Hall, the residence of H. C. Lacy, Esq., is a handsome Elizabethan building, erected in 1861. There are also several other residences. The Tivoli tea and pleasure gardens are a great attraction to the inhabitants and visitors of Brighton in the summer season.
MOUSCOMB is a hamlet in this parish. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]